Cowley International College and St Helens RLFC are two of the most recognised establishments in St Helens and will come together to make one outstanding partnership; their shared objectives of pursuing excellence, serving the community and offering the best facilities for sport, education and career development are the ideal launch pad for their future together.
St Helens has a long standing tradition and love of Rugby League. Cowley has an innovative partnership with St Helens Rugby League Club (Saints) where the professional team train on the school site and support with events such as training, assemblies, mentoring and even supplying staff (such as Assistant Principal, Mr Bennett and Science teacher, Mr Amor). This is really aspirational for the students to have this close relationship with these elite athletes and access to these facilities.
The partnership allows the Saints Academy players to fulfil their training needs accordingly whilst continuing their education at Cowley’s Post-16 College. The partnership works in a reciprocal manner to support each other’s needs – educational initiatives and strategies will involve Saints personnel which in turn will increase the success and achievement of Cowley students.
Students entering the Sixth Form are now able to apply for the Cowley Sport Scholarship programme. This is a unique opportunity for ambitious, elite sports people (from any sport except rugby) to work with St Helens RLFC to achieve their ultimate sporting goals. Successful applicants can receive many benefits from the scheme including –
- Access to professional, experienced sports physiotherapists to aid recovery
- Individual meetings with diet and nutritionist expert
- Up-to-date elite sports science support including individual fitness analysis, guidance and monitoring
- Programme of support with 1-to-1 mentoring to ensure correct work/train/life balance
- Series of lectures from Saints’ coaches/trainers media teams on variety of topics